Header Ads

 

Grammarly Grammar Checker Review 2020: Comparing the Free VS Premium Memberships- Realearnr

Grammarly Grammar Checker Review 2020: Comparing the Free VS Premium Memberships- Realearnr


Transcribe me is one of the transcription platforms that recommends you use a tool called Grammarly to help you check your work for any punctuation or spelling errors. So in today's video, I'm going to compare Grammarly Free Online Writing assistance with the premium subscription plan. To download Grammarly, Free OnlineWriting assistant, and follow along with me in this tutorial, click on my referral link in the description below. First of all, I want to say that I am amazed at how much this free tool has to offer. I'm not even talking right now about the premium version. 




I'm talking about the free version which is free forever. I always assumed that you could only benefit from Grammarly. If you had the premium membership, and I was wrong. Their free tool is incredible. And I 100% recommend that you download it. You can use this both as an extension for Firefox and for Google Chrome. So again, go to the description below and click on my link. And once you click on the link, it'll direct you to this page and will tell you to click to add it either to Firefox or to Chrome. So I'm going to click Add to firefox it's free. Click Continue to installation and click Add. 




And now we can click ok got it. So I am going to show you the free version first and then I'm going to compare it with the premium version and see what you get what you don't get and which one I recommend for you. So I'm going to click got it to activate Grammarly and then you're going to go ahead and install it by putting in your email and your password. You can also sign up with Facebook or Google or your apple account. Okay, so right here is the Grammarly app. You can see here we have my Grammarly and click on account. If I click on subscription, you can see here that I am using the free version which includes basic writing corrections. It includes grammar, spelling, and punctuation. So we're going to go back to my Grammarly and what we're going to do is click on new so this is the new Grammarlyeditor start a quick tour tells you editing Made Easy get detailed feedback on your writing and apply suggestion with just one click become a better writer. Go beyond grammar set your goals and we're going to click start writing. 


So you can just start typing whatever you want to type out or you can copy and paste it so I have prepared a little Grammarly demo, I'm pretending This is a conversation on the telephone between two different people and I've made all sorts of different mistakes. I have not tried this in Grammarly either the free version or the premium yet. So we're going to do this together to see how much Grammarly catches and how many errors they find and if they find everything or not. So I'm going to go ahead right-click, click Copy. 


Now I'm going to go back here and you can either press Ctrl plus v on your keyboard to paste or right-click and choose Paste. Now another thing you could do is click Upload. And then here you could go ahead and locate the document that you would want to edit and you could edit it straight into Grammarly right here, but I'm just going to paste it. Okay, and I'm going to add a title. So this is Grammarly, a free version demo. Okay, let's go through this. So you can see in this first sentence, they've ignored a few things. This here should be changed from an AR to AR D. But they've missed that. But let's just see what they have caught. So you can see here I've written, John, how are you feeling? I heard you were sick. So the first sentence, they haven't corrected anything. 



But in the second sentence, they've, if I click on where, because I accidentally wrote where instead of work for the purpose of this demo. And when you click on it, they're telling you that you need to write work, not where to just click and it corrects it for you. Okay. Thanks for asking jack. I'm not bad. Here, they're telling you that there should be an apostrophe it should be I'm so you click that and they've corrected it. But have been feeling pretty rough the last week Did I miss anything at work? Here? They're telling you that you need to put a question mark because this is a question. So they've corrected that correctly. We had a big meeting last Friday. Again, they're telling you that You need to capitalize on the word Friday, which is correct. And they told us that they're going to give us a raise. So here There should be a period and they have not told us that we need a period. So that's one thing that they missed. Let's keep going. I can't believe it, click on that. Click can't, they've corrected that for us. 




Did they tell you when we'd get the race, okay, I intentionally didn't put in an apostrophe here to see if they would catch that they didn't? extra money would really affect my family. Here. If I click on effect, it should be an effect, not an effect. So they've caught that as well. Now, if you click here, they're telling us that really is unnecessary in the sentence, consider removing it. If we were using Grammarly just as a writer and not as a person who is transcribing, then we would listen to this sort of feedback here about conciseness and clarity. But because we are really only worried about as a transcriptionist as correctness right here, because we cannot just start taking out words that someone said, so if you were a writer, you could really take advantage of these other tips here, clarity and the engagement and delivery which are premium. 





But for us as a transcriptionist, you would only really need to worry about correctness. Okay. So the next one, they are going to start giving raises to the accounting department. First, I click on that, they've told me that we need to change this to these are they are, so we're going to use there by the way. And great they're telling us we need to put a comma after By the way, which is correct. By the way, next week is Kyle'sretirement party. So once we did that, it's also popped up it recognizes that we need to use an apostrophe because it is a person's retirement party. So we need to use Apostrophe S. So we're going to click here, Kyle's retirement party, I need you to bring napkins, cups and paper plates. 





Okay, here, there should be commas separating napkins, and cups and they haven't included that. So that is something they've missed. Well, let's keep going. I will bring them if I am feeling better and able to go, I have to see what Dr. Thompson says first. Okay, here, they haven't recognized that this should be capitalized, Dr. Thompson. So they've missed that. I hope you feel better soon. Remember to get lots of rest. Thanks for the advice. Okay, here, we're going to click on advice. Okay, so now that we've gone through that, they're telling us that there are a few little other things that they will only tell us about if we get the premium. So they're saying to us, they know that this is a problem that we need to fix. Potentially, this is a problem, maybe this and maybe this as well. 






So they're giving you a clue that six other writing issues are only available for premium users, but on the whole, they have corrected a lot of different mistakes for us already, just based on the free version. Okay, I want to show you something else that's really cool in the free version of Grammarly once you have installed the extension, either on Chrome or Firefox, and let's say I'm writing an email to someone. You can see here that Grammarly will be helping you anytime you're typing in anything while you're using your browser. So let's say, for example, I am sending in an email, I'm trying to get a job, or maybe I'm using Upwork or Fiverr. And I'm trying to write out something in English and I want to make sure it's perfect Grammarly will help you and you don't have to copy and paste. So for example, to your hiring manager. So see here, I was going to put an announcement and they're instantly telling me that that's the word I'm probably going to use. So I can go ahead and click the arrow button over. And it has written out the word that I wanted to use, it predicted it for me. And again, I could do interesting inlet's say I write transcriptionist wrong here. See, it's just corrected it for me, which is great. So as you can see here, Grammarly is telling you right here that there are these different errors that I might like to change. So here they're telling me I need to put the year. So I'm gonna click year. 





And then they're telling me that I should add a hyphen. Because I'm saying33 years old I should be adding hyphens. So I'm going to click on that. Here, they're telling me it shouldn't be my M it should be my and this is an excellent tool for writing cover letters for fixing your resume for applying to jobs in English. For even writing comments on YouTube.Sometimes, when people are making mistakes, if they have this plugin installed, it will help them even when they're commenting on videos to improve their English. So I really recommend you use this tool either If you can't afford the premium version, the free version alone is awesome. Okay. And as you can see, if we go back here to Firefox, even though they haven't told us what these errors are, what I do like is that they are sort of directing you to tell you that there is an error there. 





Free  Premium Memberships

So even if you don't purchase the premium membership, but you say, okay, something's wrong with this, I'm going to have to look at this and see what needs to be changed, or, okay, they're telling me there's an error here, I need to figure out what this error is. For a lot of these, these are more advanced punctuation. So I recommend that you check out my sparkle English YouTube channel, where I teach you all about capitalization rules, comma rules, colon rules, semicolon rules, and all these different things that will help you if you do not have the premium membership and you want to learn how to properly use commas, that will definitely help you because if you try out a few of those, and run it through Grammarly, again, maybe you'll have less of these different errors here. But on the whole, the free version does an excellent job telling you most of the errors that you will find.





 Okay, so now what I want to do is I'm going to copy it, again, with all the corrections that the free version did. And I'm going to go into my premium account and see what other errors they're telling us that they have found here to see if it's worth it to get premium. And I'm going to tell you when I would recommend getting a premium and for who. So you can see here I got a premium membership, you can see premium at the top here and it looks very much the same as the free version. Again, I'm going to click on new. And I'm going to paste in what we just corrected and see what the premium membership will find that we couldn't find in the free version. So you can see here that the premium membership has this that pops up it says to set your goals. So for example, if I was using this tool as a writer and wanted to improve my writing and sound a certain way I could say who my audience was. It says you can set your goals to get tailored writing suggestions based on your goals and audience.






 So you could put general I want it to be easy for anyone to read with minimal effort or knowledgeable or expert. Okay. formality. Informal allows slang and more and other more casual usages neutral, restrict slang, but allows standard casual expressions or formal, you can save its academic business general email, casual creative. And then you can even put your tone if you want it to sound joyful or optimistic or friendly, for example. And this is really helpful because sometimes if you're writing an email to someone, it can sound almost rude. And maybe you don't want to sound rude, but your level of English isn't high enough to make it sound polite. 





For example, in Spanish when Igo to get a coffee from a coffee shop, people when people are ordering coffee, they say that my own cafe. And the direct translation of that gives me a coffee. Now, if I went to a coffee shop in Canada, or England or an English-speaking country, and I said to the waiter, give me a coffee, they would think oh my goodness, you are so rude. Like that would be a really rude thing to say. So something like this is very helpful for someone whose native language is not English. I'm just going to go ahead and click Done. Because for us, we're not really interested in changing the text. We just want to make sure the punctuation and everything are correct. So let's go to back to the top here, says hey, john, how are you feeling? So they want us to add a comma, which is correct after you say hey, john, or Hey, anybody, you should put a comma there? How are you feeling? And now they're letting us know that we need to capitalize john as well because it is a proper noun. Hey, John, how are you feeling? So the one thing they haven't caught the premium here, I put the letter Ringstead of AR t because I was testing if they would tell me that this is incorrect. So I'm going to change that myself to Rand to see if they will catch that this should be a question mark. Okay, as soon as I did that, they caught it. They want you to put a question mark. So that's good. Thanks for asking jack. I'm not bad, but have been feeling pretty rough the last week, DidI miss anything at work? Now here I would want to put a comma. So I've added that comma here myself. We had a big meeting last Friday. Okay, here they want us to put a comma, it appears that you are missing a comma before the coordinating conjunction, and in a compound sentence, consider adding a comma. So we'll add the comma. And they told us that they're going to give us a race and they're telling us we need to add a punctuation mark at the end. 





I can't believe it did they tell you when we'd get the race. So here I was hoping they would tell me that we need an apostrophe here because I'm this should be what's in we would. So I'm going to add that in myself. extra money would really affect my family, they're going to start giving raises to the accounting department first, by the way, next week is called retirement party, I need you to bring napkins, cups and paper plates. Again, here, they're telling us we need to put a comma, which is correct. You could also add a comma here. And it seems that this sentence contains a series of three or more words, phrases, or clauses, consider inserting a comma to separate the elements. Okay, I will bring them if I am feeling better and able to go, I have to see what Dr. Thompsonsays first. So here, they haven't caught that we need to capitalize the D or put up or put a period after Dr. Because this is the title. So I'm going to put it myself. Dr. Thompson, let's see if they catch. Okay, so when I capitalized the D, they were letting me know, I need to put a punctuation mark there. I hope you feel better soon. 




Remember to get lots of rest. So if I click on that, here, they're saying you appear to have two independent clauses improperly joined with a comma, consider correcting the comma splice. So they are letting me know that I need that this is a comma splice, and this is not correct the correct use of a comma. So I have to put a period and capitalize R. Or I could also use a semicolon here, I'm going to put a period and put anR Remember to get lots of rest. What would happen out of curiosity, if I put a semicolon. Good, a semicolon would also be correct. So now if I click on correctness, it's saying looking good, everything's great. Here, if I click on clarity, it's telling me that it's very clear. If I click on engagement, saying it's very engaging, delivery, just right, style guide allgood. 





And if for whatever reason you wanted to check plagiarism, you could click here on plagiarism. And it will do a search and it says looks like your text is 100% original, we found no matching text in our databases or on the internet. So that great to know as well. Especially if you know paid someone to do writing for you and you wanted to check that it was original. Okay, I also want to quickly show you a demo using the email of the premium. Let's say I wrote this quick little email and I wanted to check everything was okay. Go ahead and click on Open Grammarly. And it'll tell you everything about it. It says you nailed it sounds optimistic. So if you click on that the tone detector it says you sound optimistic, friendly, and confident and they gave me a rating of 100. If we go back to Grammarly, you can also click on their demo document. And here it will show you all of the different things that it helps you. with it helps you with grammatical errors. underlined in blue indicate the Grammarly has spotted an unnecessarily wordy sentence. Sothis would be helpful if you were a writer and you wanted to correct your sentences and make them sound more concise and more clear. So now we're back here at my grammar demo for premium. And so overall my impression of Grammarly is that it is an excellent tool, both the free version and the premium version. Now neither were perfect. As you can see, I still had a few different errors that I had to correct myself in the premium version. But that is just basically because I don't think we're at that level right now where a computer can be 100% perfect. There were a few things that they didn't catch because I intentionally made these mistakes.




 But the free version was awesome. It helped me with all sorts of different errors that I made. And even if you do not have the premium version, they will still tell you that there are extra errors you need to look out for. They just won't tell you what they are. So what I like about that is they tell you where the errors are. So you can sort of thing for yourself, okay, do I need to add a period or add a punctuation mark or semicolon? And this is also why it is so important to study the correct punctuation rules in English so that you can be aware of what these errors might be. So if you are a writer or a transcriptionist, I recommend 100% that you download Grammarly. 





 Premium Memberships

Now, who do I recommend Grammarly premium for Grammarly premium is not cheap. For example, if I go back here and 2nd I click go premium, you can see that it gives you everything included in free and then also clarity focus sentence rewrites tone adjustments, plagiarism detection word choice, formality level, fluency, and additional advanced suggestions. You can see here that have premium and also business and they start at 1166 a month If you click gets started, you'll see that that is only if you are interested in paying for a full year. So otherwise, it's 26 euro or $30 a month. 






However, the free plan is free forever. So when would I recommend someone get a premium? If you are a transcriptionist and you are working for a company like transcribe me, or rev or QA world or scrivi, you will know that it takes a lot of time to earn even $1 even $5 let alone$30 a month. So unless you are transcribing a lot of files and you are making over $100 a month as a transcriptionist, I wouldn't recommend you get the premium because it might not be worth it for you. 


However, if you are a transcriptionist, and you have ongoing transcription work, maybe you are a freelance transcriptionist and you get your clients from Upwork or Fiverr. Or you just have a client that you work with that you found on YouTube and you do all their subtitles for them. For example, paying an extra 11 a month if you were able to get the year-long membership or the quarterly membership might be worth it for you. I do 100% recommend Grammarlypremium for writers. 




So if you are a freelance writer, proofreader, or copy editor, you are probably making more money than a transcriptionist is so you probably can spare an extra15 a month or 12 a month to get the annual membership for Grammarly. And this will really help you to create excellent content, it will help you transform your writing so that it makes more sense so that it's more fluid and natural. But again, if you are struggling to make an extra hundred a month as a transcriptionist, I would save that money and just stick to the free version of Grammarly. 




And what you can do instead is really study up on your punctuation, subscribe to my sparkle English channel. And that should be enough for you for now until eventually, you get into a position where you're making more money. And you think a tool like this would help you out if you invested in spending the extra 15 a month and got the annual membership. But overall, I think this is an excellent tool I definitely recommend you download it and use it when you're making YouTube comments for when you're writing emails, it should really help you out and help you become more confident when you're speaking and writing and transcribing in English. 



No comments